Monday, April 5, 2010

Bathroom Before and After

As promised, here is the before and after of my own bathroom renovation. As you can see, it was an old outdated and worn out guest bathroom. Not the place that your guests would enjoy using. There was old vinyl flooring that I scraped up (oddly secure for it's age) a huge 1970s vanity and equally huge and old 3 door medicine cabinet. The good parts were: the tile was a classic white with a gold accent border (thank God because the master bath had baby blue tile) and the tub and tile surround were still in great condition.
Okay, well, that sums up the good parts...
Now onto the AFTER:
*I obviously kept the same wall tile, but matched it up with a gold damask style wallpaper that I had leftover from a project in my very first house 10 years ago (see??? Keep the stuff that you like to save some moola later on)
*I added a neutral colored marble tile floor (bought on clearance and used in my kitchen too)
*Refinished and converted an old dresser that my mother had given me, into a vanity by removing the drawers and just installing the drawer fronts to allow for plumbing, adding the white vessel sink to tie in the classic white tile, and splurging on a really nice and somewhat pricey faucet. This vanity become the focal point of the room and while functional, is also a beautiful piece of furniture that could have easily been discarded in it's prior condition.
*Instead of changing the window to a frosted bathroom window (I have never cared too much for those), I replaced the window and simply applied a look-a-like stained glass pattern onto it. Instant beauty and privacy (there is also a bamboo shade in case someone feels that they want more) These applications are at your local Lowes or Home Depot and can be installed in minutes and look remarkably realistic.
*Added simple accessories and new shower curtain.


For a quick video of the bathroom, you can see it in my HGTV audition video at around 1:18



And there you have it! Following my philosophy of making your guest bath a stand-out feature in your home, I turned a 1970s ugly duckling into a classic and traditional bathroom. Yes, the faucet was much more than I normally would spend, but I saved on using wallpaper that I already had and having a dresser given to me, so it all worked out. Continue to think outside the box and repurpose and reuse things for a fresh new look: That's beautiful, affordable, design.....

No comments:

Post a Comment